This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
If you’re a stressed out parent wondering how you can easily connect with your kids, this post is for you.
This post is sponsored by Xfinity, however, all opinions stated are mine alone.
Why Connecting With Your Kids Is Important
Of course connecting with your kids is important, but why is it important?
Working on ways to connect with your kids is super important for their overall development. They learn so many things from you and one of the biggest, life long impacts is how they view relationships. The relationship you have with your children will end up painting an image in their mind of what to expect out of other personal relationships.
Through your relationship with your children, you’ll teach them how to interact in a relationship, what to give in a relationship, what to take in a relationship, and how to connect. With that, it is super important to put some big effort into the relationship you have with your kids!
I know how hard that can be though. As a single mom myself, sometimes there is so much going on in our lives that I totally forget to put in the effort into connecting with my kids. It can be really hard to make the time but that is why I wanted to share with you today a list of ways to connect with your kids that are not only easy enough to build into your regular routine, but perfect for busy parents who need the help right now.
Hacks to Easily Connect With Your Kids
Before we dive into my tips for connecting with your kids, I wanted to share a few easy hacks for your everyday life that will make it easier to connect with your kids.
1. Forget your devices while connecting.
Our phones can so easily get in the way of connecting with our kids so make it a habit to put it on silent and stick her in a pocket or away while you focus on connecting with your child.
2. Look for ways in everyday life that offer easy ways to connect.
I recently learned about Xfinity Rewards and they’ve offered a super cool way to connect with my kids! It’s a free rewards program with special perks and experiences simply for being a customer. Right now they have some awesome rewards for the release of Sing 2 including a complementary Fandango ticket (up to $20 value) when you buy 1 or more tickets to see Sing 2 in theaters, a $1 coupon for watching the original Sing at home, free Sing 2 activity pages, and so much more available through Dec. 31!
Eligible Xfinity customers can easily sign up here to start taking advantage of the rewards program offered by Xfinity or through the Xfinity App!
3. Make Time for One on One
If you have multiple kids, one on one time is super important. You don’t have to go out of the house for this either when life is crazy! It can be as simple as snuggling up on the couch with one of your kids indulging in their favorite show or bringing out one of their favorite crafts or games to do together.
4. Feel Emotions
Not only is it important for your kids to see how you manage your own emotions, it is super important for them to see how you react to their own emotions. In my house I have encouraged my kids to vocalize when they’re having a hard time so that we can connect and discuss what is going on. It’s a super easy way to pause what we’re doing, work through the emotions, and get on our way back to what we were doing.
5. Keep to Routines
We all know that routines are important for kids but did you know they also can serve as great ways to connect with your kids? Take your bedtime routine for example. The simple things like picking out pj’s, brushing teeth together, or reading a story together serve as great opportunities to connect!
Now that we’ve gone over a handful of ways to encourage connection in your everyday lives, let’s dive into my ideas to connect with your kids!
I think you’ll love these!
- 120+ Positive Anxiety Affirmations for Stress Relief
- 108 Quotes About Falling in Love with Your Best Friend
- 127 Inspirational October Quotes and Sayings for Fall
- 28 Best Motivational Podcasts on Spotify to Inspire
- 150+ Positive Affirmations for Depression to Calm You
Ways to Connect with Your Kids for Busy Parents
- Create a secret family handshake
- Create a playlist of their favorite songs to sing together
- Make a snackboard and share the snacks together
- Get down on their level and ask about their favorite things
- Write them notes once they’re able to read
- Give backrubs
- Build a fort and have a movie night
- Take a quick day trip to your favorite place
- Play hide and seek
- Make Friday night movie nights a regular thing
- Read bedtime stories together
- Paint nails/have a pampering night
- Regularly listen to them
- Play a game together
- Build a craft set together
- Play outside together
- Make special one on one time a regular thing
- Make dinner together
- Bake together
- Talk about your day in the evening
- Build PlayDoh sculptures together
- Have a quick day date when time allows
- Enjoy their favorite snack together
- Let them stay up late occasionally and spend the time together
- Enjoy a matinee movie
- Print out some movie themed coloring pages and color together
- Cuddle while watching tv
- Include them in weekly meal planning
- Let them plan a family outing
- Make ice cream sundaes
- Go for a nature walk or local easy hike
- Talk to them in the car
- Say “I love you” regularly
I hope this list gave you some good ideas to connect with your kids! If you’re interested in checking out Xfinity Rewards, click here.