This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
A homemade doughnut recipe is all you need to get some smiles on the kid’s faces & start the day off right.
I put this doughnut recipe together with National Donut Day in mind, and think it makes for a super fun way to get the kiddos involved in the kitchen! You can make the donuts themselves in UNDER 10 minutes & the kids can easily mix up the glaze and get to decorating for a yummy any time of day treat!
This post is sponsored by Rhodes Bake N Serv, however, all thoughts and opinions mentioned are my own. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Why you should get your kids into the kitchen
As someone who has loved all things baking and cooking from a very young age- I am a firm believer in letting my littles help in the kitchen as well!
I know, I know. Often times letting them help in the kitchen adds up to even more chaos, mess, & stress. BUT there are so many benefits!
Benefits of letting the kids help out in the kitchen:
- helps get them comfortable with different foods
- builds their self-confidence
- introduces them to practical math & science skills
- furthers motor skill development
- & SO much more.
Read this post from NYTimes.com for some more great ways cooking with your kids is a great idea!
How to Make my easy homemade doughnut recipe
Now for full disclosure, these are HOMEMADE doughnuts and not doughnuts from scratch. You probably gathered that after reading that this post was sponsored by Rhodes Bake N Serv, but I felt the need to clarify before moving onto how to actually make them.
I LOVE using Rhodes Bake N Serv frozen dough for quick & easy recipes like this. Their frozen roll dough balls are great for so many things like monkey bread, garlic knots, and creative kid fun goodies! Check out their easy to make recipes here.
What you’ll need to make My homemade doughnut Recipe
- 1 Package Frozen Roll Dough from Rhodes Bake N Serv
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Few TBS of Milk (we’ll go into how much in the glaze how-to)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Various Food Dye Colors
- Various Sprinkles & Other Toppings
How to Make My Homemade Doughnut Recipe
1. Start by setting a large pan on the stove over medium-high heat and filling the pan with about an inch of oil.
2. Thaw frozen dough balls by quickly in the microwave through 30-second intervals. Watch them closely & they’ll be ready when still COLD but pliable. You can also thaw overnight, covered in the fridge.
3. Using hands, work out the dough into a round doughnut shape by pressing a hole through the center and working out with hands.
4. Place on wire rack preparing to be fried, which will also be used to cool the cooked doughnuts.
5. After about 5-6 minutes of heating the oil, it should be ready for frying. Check if it is ready by using a fork to gently place one of the prepared dough rounds slightly into the oil. If it starts sizzling- the oil is ready. You could also temp check the oil to about 350 degrees.
6. Using a fork, place 3-4 doughnuts into the heated oil pan at a time, cooking on each side until golden brown. This should take about a minute per side, but watch closely to makesure they don’t burn.
7. Once golden on both sides, remove from pan with fork and place on wire rack to cool.
8. Dive into the icing (with your kiddos!) by pouring 1 cup of powered sugar into a bowl and add a few TBS of milk at a time until desired consistency is found. My daughter went a bit crazy with the milk, so my glaze came out a little thin for my liking but what matters is them getting in the kitchen helping out!
9. Separate glaze into a few different bowls & add in a few drops of desired food coloring.
10. Dive into the icing & decorating!
These doughnuts actually hold up pretty well to be eaten the next day, also! To check out where to find Rhodes Bake N Serv products near you, click here!
I’d love to hear how your easy homemade doughnut recipe turns out! Tag me on Instagram @twinsandcoffeepnw for a reshare!
Leave a Reply