This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
I am on a mission to help make mom life more tolerable and less miserable (if that isn’t for you, that is totally okay!) and my top tips revolve around building solid and realistic habits that help you go with the flow, prioritize what needs to be done, make a realistic todo list, and actually follow through and make it to bedtime without losing your entire mind.
Man, that was a lot of words. Just let me help you learn how to make mom life easier!
The secret to a happier mom is realistic habits
And about 83671 other things but I am not kidding when I say putting some solid, realistic habits in place in my life has made managing life as a work from home mom just THAT much easier.
Why I am Turning to New Habits This New Year
I really hate the “new year, new me” bullshit, but I will say that after the shit storm that was 2020, I am ready to embrace simplicity and do what I can to make life work so I don’t go insane.
And that means working in some new habits that I’ve seen work so well for others and of course, sharing them all with you.
My Favorite New to Me Habit in 2021
This one came from my therapist and, well, she was right. It has helped me so, so much.
I have always been so caught up in the “gotta get up early, get that grind, make breakfast before the kids wake up, get a start on the day before 9am or the day is trash” mindset. I’ve written about how I make it work for myself a handful of times and honestly, I need to go back through those posts because I don’t want to make anyone else feel like they HAVE to keep up with that go-go-go!
Sure, that early riser, get all of the things done way early in the morning, mindset works for some people.
And that is great!!
I am all for doing what works for you and your own life.
But I never really see people talking about figuring out what kind of routine realistically works based on your own lifestyle.
My new favorite habit is going with my own flow. My own personal clock.
That means I deleted all of my 4&5am alarms and set 7-8am alarms instead or don’t set one at all. I am not a morning person. And since I work for myself, I really can take advantage of working within a timeframe that truly works for myself.
So I get up around the times my kids do, we start the day off slow, and are pretty much in the swing of things by 11am.
The old me would have gasped at that last statement but ya know what, I am SO much happier with this new routine and habit of letting things go with the flow during the day.
I think you’ll love these!
- Top Rated Pinterest Simple Banana Bread Muffins
- 30+ of the Best DIY Gifts for Mom and Grandma
- Self Care Worksheets for Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- Why is it So Hard to Take Care of Yourself?
- How to Take a Self Care Day (Mental Health Day)
How to Make Mom Life Easier Life with Good Habits
Now I get that my new favorite habit won’t be for or work for everyone. That is the beauty of it, I think!
But I hope some of the new habits, hacks and products I am sharing below can help you answer the never ending question of “how to make mom life easier?”
New Habits & Hacks to Make Your Busy Mom Life Easier
- Carry a reusable water bottle/tumbler with you everywhere (one for the kids also!)
- Keep a water pitcher readily available for water refills + refill the pitcher every time you grab some water
- Wake up and organize, or organize before bed. Forget doing both. Pick one and move on
- Actually meal plan. And stick to it!
- Put together your grocery order while the kids eat breakfast & pick it up after lunchtime. If the kids still nap in the car- that is another win for an easy nap time!
- Stick to the trusty AM/PM laundry routine. There is always laundry to do, right? No need to force yourself to complete it all in one day. Just keep it rolling.
- Keep a car box/bag packed and in the car (read about mine here)
- Rely on crockpot & instant pot meals. Some moms suggest buying more than one to cut down on the “I forgot to wash the pot” excuses
- Forget the STUFF & get to decluttering. Less stuff = less stuff to clean & look at
- Create a snack bin (for kids + you!)
- Keep reusable straws in your car & ditch the plastic habits
- Cut down on multitasking & write things down instead. I constantly add to my “rolling to-do list” & it helps me actually get things done without losing my mind
- Schedule yourself breaks. Click here for a bit on how I intentionally schedule time for myself.
- Set aside time for organizing your digital space. Not a whole lot, 30 minutes a week can save SO MUCH sanity!
- Craft a simple routine that works for YOUR life. Read this post about how I build my own.
- Dive into some minimalist habits – link
- Create a simple menu of staples/staple meals. Check out my post about meal planning here.
- Make a habit of simplifying your goals. It is wonderful to have a big goal, but make it a habit to break that goal down into bite-sized pieces so that you can actually make it to the end without losing your mind!
- Regularly pop off of social media. Social media can be so much more draining than you’d think. There are so many ways to set timers and reminders on your phone to help you pop off and spend less time on them!
- Set your “most important’s” and leave the rest. I’ll be diving into this later on, but essentially you’re going to write out all of what you THINK you need to do on one side of the paper, and on the other write out your three most important things, three “would like to” things, and leave the rest for when you complete the first set.
- Empty your purse/diaper bag
- Encourage self-efficiency with your kiddos (where you can) & let go of the rest. Click here for how I am getting them started with chores.
- Tag your toy bins! Adding pictures to represent what goes in the bin, like dolls for a doll bin or cars for a car bin, has changed the game in my house!
- Keep the schedule simple. Here is how I draft out my own schedule as a work from home mom.
- Say no more often. To yourself, kids, friends, family. Say no and stop putting yourself in so many situations that do nothing but bring you more stress.
- Keep SOME sort of planner. Whether it be a paper planner or digital planner, you gotta do something to keep your mind a little bit organized. I love my Simplified Planner. It is big and gives me plenty of space to draft out my weeks.
- Workaround your night/day person preference. I do my best work at night, so my routine involves a lazy start to the day and an evening hustle post kid bedtime.
- Set actual boundaries with your time. Raise your hand if you are personally victimized by apps like TikTok and Youtube? Yeah. Give yourself timers and boundaries. For myself, that looks like no TikTok or Youtube until after the kids go to bed. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get anything else done.
- Buy yourself some car goo for cleaning up your car while sitting in the drive-thru
- Grab yourself a car potty if you have potty trained tots or kiddos with weak bladders & you drive a lot!
- Take advantage of Google Calendar (here is a post I love & I’ll be sharing how I use Google Calendar soon!)
- Make big batches of lightly seasoned meat to prepare for multiple dishes.
Products that Make Mom Life Easier
I’d love to know what your biggest take away was from this huge list of tips, hacks, and products to finally make mom life a bit easier.
I am always sharing new ideas over on Instagram stories & reels, so make sure to click over and follow to join!