This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
While learning how to show yourself self love, it is important to begin journaling and these journal prompts about self love should help!
How is Journaling Helpful For Your Mental Health?
Oh man. Journaling is helpful for your mental health for so many reasons.
Journaling is helpful for…
- decluttering your mind
- making sense of your thoughts
- helps you prioritize your thoughts
- decreases negative self talk
- helps you recognize your triggers
But let’s dive a bit deeper for a moment.
First off, journaling helps declutter your anxious mind which I am sure we can all agree is super helpful when your mind won’t stop spinning. My favorite way to declutter my anxious mind is by brain dumping (which you can read more about in this post).
Next, it helps you make sense of your thoughts. Whether they be anxious thoughts, curious thoughts, dreams or goals, journaling will help you make sense of them. This is helpful for breaking down what is really going on and helping you make a plan for your thoughts.
That leads us into how journaling can help you prioritize your thoughts. Journaling can help you navigate your thoughts and give you the opportunity to prioritze them in whichever way makes the most sense for you. Maybe you’re struggling with the many tasks you have to do. With journaling, you could then write about how each task will affect your life and from there break down where to begin.
Another thing journaling helps with is decreasing negative self talk. This is where journal prompts can be helpful, or even daily journal affirmations. Writing about things like your strengths, what you’re thankful for, or what you like about yourself will help you shift the narative you have of yourself in your mind.
Finally, journaling helps you recognize your triggers. If you’re really struggling at the moment and take out your journal, odds are you’re going to dump out exactly what is bothering you. Then you will be able to pinpoint what it is that caused the spiral (your trigger) and you’ll be able to better understand and navigate your triggers moving forward.
How to Get Started Journaling Using Journal Prompts
Journaling is most helpful when you have something to write about but often times that can be difficult to do on your own. Instead, it is helpful to use journal prompts.
What are journal prompts?
Well, journal prompts are essentially focused topics for you to write about. You can find them on Pinterest, in guided journal books, or even on social media apps like Instagram and TikTok. You’ll find a variety of journal prompts to choose from and I suggest just picking a random one and going with it!
Btw, this list of healing journal prompt ideas is a great list to start with 😉
Journaling Tips for Beginners
- start slow. You do not have to journal every day to find the benefits of journaling for your mental health. Instead, focus on adding it in at first where it makes the most sense for you
- try out different techniques such as braindumping, guided journals, bullet journaling, and more
- forget any and all judgements. This journal is for you and only you.
- be honest with yourself
- if you want it to become a regular thing, create a writing routine for yourself
- keep a list of your favorite go to prompts that help declutter and soothe your mind
Now that you have a better understanding of journaling, let’s dive into my list of journal prompts about self love.
I think you’ll love these!
- Top Rated Pinterest Simple Banana Bread Muffins
- 30+ of the Best DIY Gifts for Mom and Grandma
- Self Care Worksheets for Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- Why is it So Hard to Take Care of Yourself?
- How to Take a Self Care Day (Mental Health Day)
Journal Prompts About Self Love
- What are you proud of yourself for?
- What are five things you adore about yourself?
- What are five of your best qualities
- How can you show your inner child more love?
- What is your ideal self care routine?
- How would you spend your ideal self care day?
- What are five self love affirmations you can repeat to yourself daily?
- What are ten songs that make you feel good about yourself?
- What is your self love language?
- What are five things you are passionate about?
- What is something you’re really good at?
- What are five things you like about your appearance?
- How would your closest friends describe you?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What are three things you could stop doing to feel happier?
- How could you feel better about your life?
- What is your favorite way to support yourself?
- What makes you feel most at peace?
- What makes you feel happiest?
- What makes you feel the most confident?
There we have it! A packed list of journal prompts about self love to help you on your self healing journey.
If you loved this post, I think you’d love these ones too: