This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Life as mom is flippin exhausting.
Now more than ever we need to find time for some self care.
I honestly didn’t even know what self care was before becoming a mom of twins. Probably because I was already practicing it over and over again all day long.
My life revolved around me.
Well, my husband, dogs and me. But still. I didn’t have to constantly put someone else’s needs above my own.
If the dogs needed to go potty- they could wait until I decided to get up for the day. If my husband wanted food in the house he could wait until I felt like going to the grocery store (or go do it him dang self!).
But now-everything is different.
I can’t just let the twins cry while I try to get just ten minutes more of sleep. They aren’t going to wait for me like the pups do.
My life, at least right now, revolves around keeping two little babies safe and satisfied.
And it’s freaking hard.
I figured life with twins would be hard. But I mean, it’s such a different level of hard than I imagined.
It’s hard because I can’t go to bed when I want to (or stay asleep like I’d like to).
And because getting out of the house is just a task now that I have to mentally prepare for. And god forbid they decide they just aren’t feeling up to it and cry the whole time we’re in the car or walking around the block for some MUCH needed fresh air.
It’s also hard because literally every aspect of your life changes. You aren’t you anymore. You have to find you’re new you as a mom.
And whether you have help or not- It’s just as hard.
You are still mom trying to balance it all.
All of that is why now- more than ever you have to find time for some self care. Five minutes, thirty minutes, a few hours, SOMETHING.
You have got to find some time for yourself before you lose it.
All of the constant touching and needing of you is going to break you eventually. And it isn’t going to be pretty.
I am talking from experience here. I am not one to put aside time for myself, I’ve have never been that way.
During the work week I don’t ask my husband to stay up with me at night with the twins. Unless I really really need it, I would rather him be more rested for work because if I really needed to I could just sleep at home since I am a SAHM.
So after a long week of fussy babies all night, a lot of work during the week, and then a busy Saturday that lead to little baby sleep that night, come Sunday morning I had just HAD it.
The twins weren’t sleeping well, I hadn’t gotten more than two hours of consecutive sleep at night, I was exhausted and I just broke.
By broke, I mean sobbing on the floor in their room rocking back and forth with one twin while she screamed.
I was just thinking why me. The huge load of overwhelming anxiety was making me sick.
But I should have taken one before that point. Before the point of breaking down and sobbing on the floor.
That day I put together a long list of self care ideas to better take care of my sanity so that I never get that low again.
And the last thing I want is for you guys to get that low, so that is why I am here to share my list with you guys.
Some of the things on my list do involve a purchase prior, or involve going out and spending money. But there are plenty that require no money whatsoever.
Take some time to read through the list, and maybe add something from it into your day today and find some relief from life as mom.
But make sure you follow along to the end of this post where you can unlock my bonus 15 day self care challenge that includes something new for each day that’ll take 30 minutes or less and little to no money.
Let’s get into some self care, ladies!
23 Self Care Ideas for Mom:
- Get some fresh air (step outside for five minutes, or take a walk)
- Take a HOT shower and actually shampoo and condition your hair
- Binge watch your favorite show (How I Met Your Mother is my fave!)
- Make yourself some cookie dough and eat it all
- Give yourself a DIY pedicure using this awesome foot spa
- Put on a real outfit (I’m talking something more than a nursing bra, sweatshirt and yoga pants)
- Call your mom (or your best friend)
- Make your FAVORITE dinner
- Massage your favorite lotion into your arms and legs
- Do your make up and hair (even if you’re just hanging out in yogas and a hoodie)
- Turn up your favorite music and dance
- Search Groupon for a fun class nearby to sign up for
- Write down ten things you love about yourself
- Buy a bottle of your favorite wine (or beer) and have a glass (or the whole thing)
- Take a break from the internet for the rest of the day
- Go to your favorite fast food restaurant and get whatever you have been craving
- Have a mom date with your best mom friend
- Take a MUCH needed nap!
- Light some candles, make your house smell good!
- Give yourself a DIY at home facial
- Make a new recipe!
- Color in a relaxing coloring book
- Start your own blog and get it all out! (let me know if you’d like to learn how!)
After all of those you might be left thinking ‘what about my bab(ies)?!! I can’t just walk away if they’re crying or need something.
And I get it. I have two infants too. I take care of them alone a good 80% of the time. But that doesn’t mean I can’t put myself first here and there. If it means you step back for five seconds and take a breather before taking care of their needs and then jumping in the shower- do that.
Or if they’re crying but they are fed, have clean diapers, and aren’t too hot or cold- they are probably just fine. Sure they want to be held and cuddled, but you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of them.
If we’re having a bad day and I just need ten minutes of quiet to myself- I make sure they’re safe and clean, then turn off the baby monitor or step outside for ten minutes.
They will be fine for ten minutes.
And then after that ten minutes, you’ll feel up and ready to conquer the rest of your day with kids.