This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Becoming a mom is like an instant hit to your self confidence.
All of a sudden you’re a new mom with LOADS of questions and it seems like nothing is the same anymore.
Not to mention Facebook and Instagram aren’t all that helpful sometimes.
Seeing all of the pictures and posts about moms who seem to have it all put together, when it feels like you’re hanging on by a thread?
Not the greatest confidence boost!
I have always dreamed about the day when I would become a mom. I dreamed I’d have everything put together, that I would stay home and life would be a breeze. Laundry always done, dishes put away and not overflowing in the sink, makeup and hair done everyday.
I am sure we can all laugh at that!
Motherhood is seriously nothing like what social media makes it seem and it is honestly overwhelming.
How do those moms keep their homes, babies, and selves clean all of the time??
You can bet that 99% of the time I have at least some sort of spit up, food, or milk somewhere on my body.
Last night it was pureed squash as we are introducing foods to the twins and Kendall decided to blow bubbles into the spoon.
Yep, the squash was everywhere.
Not really the Instagram perfect image we all see of mom life, right?
Being a twin mom, I am always on the hunt for ways to make my life easier.
Keeping the twins well and fed is hard enough. Then add in EVERYTHING else you have going on as a new mom?
It seems pretty unobtainable.
So I have scoured Pinterest, talked with other moms, and implemented methods myself all around keeping my shit together as a new mom and I have 52 ways of doing so for you guys.
Let’s get to it and finally MAYBE get our SHIT together!
- Keep a stocked diaper bag
- Make sure you have the baby essentials
- Set up diaper stations both up and downstairs
- ALLLWAYS have an extra box of diapers
- Same goes for formula if you aren’t nursing/pumping
- Keep easy snacks in the house (for yourself!)
- Make sure you have the next size up in clothes, they’ll grow over night!
- Always have a bottle of wine (or beer) on hand
- Wake up before your kids (you’ll get more done)
- Give yourself a chore or two a day
- Under plan yourself for when things don’t go as planned
- Get the essentials done in the morning and go from there
- Remember to plan in family time!
- Plan your days out in the morning (because the night is always a long one when you plan the day before)
- Meal plan before you grocery shop
Keep the house tidy, not clean!
- Create a tidying schedule for yourself (I only do dishes, sweep, and put the living room back together daily)
- Do the bigger tasks one thing at a time
- Tidy as you go (so the mess doesn’t keep piling up)
- Keep some DIY cleaning products for quick and easy cleaning
- Feed the babies over the hardwood or linoleum for easy clean up
Get OUT of the house!
- Join local mom groups on Facebook and ACTUALLY go to the events
- Go for regular walks (even fifteen minute walks to Starbucks will save the day)
- Set date nights with your best friend
- Get out without the babies
- Spend an extra five minutes in the car jamming to your favorite song
Momma knows best!
- Don’t doubt yourself, you do know what you’re doing
- Ask for advice when you need it
- When in doubt, call your mom
- Cosleep if you need to
- Remember, breastfed babies cannot overfeed
- What you say goes. Don’t take crap from everyone else
- Mom shaming is real, don’t be one of them
- Let them cry if you want, or don’t. It is up to you
- You are the BEST mom for your babies
Find new hobbies!
- Bring out the old paint set, jewelry kit, whatever else!
- Start a mom blog
- Try cake decorating! (my personal favorite)
- Binge watch Youtube videos (guilty…)
- Try out photography!
- Get into the adult coloring books
Practice self care!
- Take a real shower
- Or a bath if you have the time!
- Read a book for yourself
- Take yourself out on a date
- Spruce up your wardrobe
- Get a pedicure
- Walk around target for a while (or a few hours)
- Look up inspirational quotes on Pinterest (I have a whole board dedicated, check it out here!)
Now that you have 52 ways of keeping your shit together as a new mom, make the most of it!
You rock those leggings and do what you want. You got this mom shit HANDLED.
If I can do it, you can too.