This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
I am not sure how Taco Tuesday came about, or why it has become such a staple.
But man am I here for it!
My crockpot chicken tacos are the ideal meal for a quick and easy Tuesday night dinner.
Not only are they easy, but they’re CHEAP too! You only need a handful of ingredients, likely things you already have or that you can purchase for less than $10 at the grocery store.
Don’t believe me?
Here is a price run down;
Two chicken breasts- roughly $3
Corn Tortillas- $2 for huge pack
Coleslaw shreds- $1
Total: $9.33 and you’ll even have extras for other meals. Like twenty more tacos worth of corn tortillas!
I know it’s not a $5 dinner. But it IS a dinner that will fill you and your family up!
My crockpot chicken tacos are also simple enough that you could deconstruct for your nuggets that are learning to eat and your toddlers will enjoy.
And of course you’ll love the simplicity.
Chicken in crockpot- done.
Set timer- done.
Forget about it and rock your day- YES!
Shred chicken and slice up extras- Easy.
Heat up tortillas- Extra step that is SO worth it.
Being compeltely honest, I never heated my corn tortillas before recently. I thought they were so gross because I ate them cold and hard.
What was I doing???
Then one day after I scarfed down some tacos from a restaurant near by, I got to thinking “these tortillas are cooked…hmmm…”. So I grabbed some corn tortillas during the following grocery trip and decided to try out heating them up on the stove in a pan with some coconut oil. HOOOOOLY poop they were GOOD!
I don’t think I’ll ever make tacos with flour tortillas ever again. Cooked corn tortillas are so good, why would I go back??
So make sure of all the steps in my crockpot chicken taco recipe, you do NOT skip cooking up the tortillas. It really makes all of the difference!
Now before we dive into the cheap and easy recipe, lets go over the kitchen tools that you’ll need.
These are all staples in my house, and if you want to kill it in the kitchen, I suggest investing in these if you don’t have them already!
If you have yet to sign up for prime, I have an offer for your first month completely FREE if you need that two day shipping so you can get to taco making ASAP
Just click here!
Already have prime? Then check out these kitchen tools for taco makin’!
Let’s get cooking!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||8 hours|
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 bag coleslaw shreds or two cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 whole lime
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese I used Darigold sharp white cheddar
- First, get that chicken going. Drop breasts in crockpot with water and oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning
- Set to cook for eight hours on low
- Check on chicken occasionally, add a bit more water if needed. Helps keep the chicken nice and juicy!
- After the eight hours, place chicken in a medium sized bowl and shred
- Chop up cilantro and half the lime
- Squeeze one lime half into chicken shreds
- In another bowl, combine the cilantro, coleslaw mix with lime juice from the other half of lime
- Shred cheese and slice up avocado
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat with coconut oil
- Cook tortillas one at a time, placing on a plate toped with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil
- Make up your tacos
- Feel free to add some sour cream or pico de gallo on top!
Okay now that you made dinner, tag @twinsandcoffeepnw on Instagram and let me know what you thought! Happy Taco Tuesday!
Or better yet, pin this image for later!
Leave a Reply