This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
You requested it, so here it is.
My three cheese mac and cheese recipe.
Over on the Twins and Coffee Instagram, I asked you guys what you wanted first. The recipe to my mac or my enchiladas.
It was a close call, but the mac and cheese won. And I mean, I can see why!
Look at that cheesy, creamy GOODNESS!
Not only does it look good, but it tastes heavenly as well.
I put it together recently for a Saturday play date at my house and it was gone in minutes. Hence why I wasn’t even able to snag a picture of it’s finished, fresh out the oven, glory!
Everyone loved it. Even the twins and my friends picky two year old!
That has to be a successful meal!
So what makes it so special?
Well for starters it has a heavy mix of three cheeses. Yep, just like the title said!
It calls for a cup of Tillamook mild cheddar, monterey jack, and then 1/2 cup of Philadelphia cream cheese. Just in the base!
Then it is topped with another cup of a mixture of the two main cheeses- as well as a secret ingredient.
No. Not bacon!
Although you could add some chopped or crumbled bacon and make this dish even BETTER!
My secret ingredient is crushed French’s Fried Onions!
They add the perfect amount of crunch in the topping and saltiness to the overall dish! They are seriously the perfect touch to mac and cheese.
Go ahead and follow the recipe below. You won’t be disappointed!
But first- make sure you have all of these required kitchen-ware essentials!
That cheese grater is the BEST. It measures how much you’re shredding WHILE you’re shredding!
Share your creation on Instagram and tag @twinsandcoffeepnw, I’d love to see what you cook up!
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||25 Minutes|
- One Box Pasta Shells
- 1/2 Stick butter
- 1 TBS Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup milk I used whole
- 1 Cup Shredded Tillamook Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Tillamook Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Crushed French's Fried Onions
- Start off by preheating the oven at 375 degrees and boil some water in a medium sized sauce pan
- Cook pasta shells until al dente in the medium sized sauce pan, drain and set aside in large mixing bowl
- Over medium heat, melt butter with garlic in large skillet
- Once melted, add flour and whisk until incorporated
- Then pour in the milk and whisk until clumps disappear
- Once all clumps disappear, add the shredded cheeses
- Continuously stir until mixture is fully combined, cheese has melted and sauce has started to thicken
- Pour cheese mixture over top of the pasta
- Add cream cheese to pasta mixture and fold together
- Once everything is incorporated, pour the mac into a greased 9x13 baking dish
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and crispy onions
- Cover top with foil and bake for 25 minutes
Reading this post makes me want to eat dinner again! I love cheesy recipe!
OMG! This is seriously mouthwatering! Thanks for sharing your secret ingredient! I’ll definitely have to try this!
wow this looks so good. I love Mac and cheese!
John Saeger says
Looks tasty. You can never wrong with bacon though!
This definitely sounds amazing! My kids LOVE mac n cheese! I will be pinning this for later! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I hope they love it!
I agree! Throw some in there and this recipe would probably be even better!
Thank you! Make sure to pin for later!
You are so welcome! Let me know how it turns out!
Right! It is hard not to eat the whole pan!
Sounds delicious! – great recipe hack too. Who knew onions would be the secret ingredient?! Definitely going to try this one out soon.
oh this sounds amazing!
Thank you! You would be surpised- they work GREAT in so many recipes!! Kind of like bacon!