This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Self care during summer can be fun and exciting, especially with these self care ideas for warm days that include self care in the sunshine!
Importance of Self Care on Warm Days
Oh the sunshine. What wonders it can do for your mental health!
I think warm, summer days make self care just that much easier. Something about the sunshine makes me want to do the kind things on this list of self care ideas for warm days for myself that other days I struggle with.
There are actually quite a few studies out there about the impacts of sunny days on our mental health and they all point to how great they are for our brains!
Keri Powell of kptherapy.com said that “One of the many benefits of the summer is the positive effect that it has on many people’s mental health. The sun gives us more vitamin D, which raises energy levels and just simply makes us feel happier.” – kptherapy.com
Why is Sunshine Good for Our Mental Health?
So, we get it. Sunshine is good for our mental health. It provides us with vitamin D. But why is that good for our mental health?
Vitamin D helps our bodies function as they should. It’s moreso that a lack of it is what affects our mental health. Vitamin D deficiencies can lead to an assortment of mental health conditions and can include these symptoms according to WebMD:
- Mood changes accompanied by overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, sadness, and hopelessness
- Loss of interest in activities that previously sparked excitement
- Suicidal thoughts
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive weight loss or gain
- Trouble sleeping
Once you add vitamin D back into your system, it seems as though those symptoms start to disappear which is why your mental health seems to be doing better.
I am not a doctor, these are simply my takes from reading about the subject
How to Get the Most Out of a Sunny Day for Your Mental Health
To get the most out of a sunny day, get outside!
Studies suggest that being outside or in the sunshine, to some capacity for 30 minutes a day can drastically improve your mood so it’s no surprise that warm days lead to better mental health days!
And with that, let’s dive into and talk about my self care ideas for warm days.
I think you’ll love these!
- How to Do a Mental Health Check In List with Yourself
- Healing Journal Prompt Ideas for Mental Health Journaling
- How to Brain Dump: What Brain Dumps are and How They Work
- Stress Reducing Tips for Moms Struggling with Mental Illness
- Easy Self Care Ideas for Bad Days
Self Care Ideas for Warm Days
- Relax outdoors instead of on the couch or in bed
- Head to the farmers market
- Pick an easy hike near your home and get outdoors
- Make a list of local trails near you and try to walk them all
- Start your own backyard / patio garden
- Make a kick ass summer sunny day playlist
- Journal in the early morning sunshine
- Have a picnic (solo or as a date night!)
- Make brunch plans with a friend and sit outdoors
- Give yourself a spa day and show off the fresh pedicure
- Buy some new feel good summer clothes
- Find a drive in movie near you
- Head to my favorite place; the beach!
- Go for ice cream and enjoy it outside
- Balance your summer budget (we all know activities can get spendy!)
- Plan a summer camping trip
- Or a vacation!
- Pick a clear night to go stargazing
- Make a fun bucket list and STICK TO IT!
- Protect your skin with some good skincare and sunscreen
- Head to a local park and read or meditate outside
- Make a summer reading list
- Spend some time at the pool
- Have fun outside trying out photography
- Join an outdoors painting class (or make your own with friends)
- Disconnect for the day and spend time exploring
- Go for a nice drive with the windows down and the music blasting
I hope you loved this list of self care ideas for warm days!
For more like this post, check out these ones below: