This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Summer is the perfect time to practice some self care that will benefit your mental health and here is a list of 30 summer self care ideas!
Importance of Self Care During Summer
Ah, summer. Finally. Some vitamin D. Here in the PNW we don’t get much of it and I think collectively we’re a lot happier during the warmer months because of it! Summer is the perfect time to spend some time outdoors getting in as much fresh sunlight as you safely can and that is what makes it a great time to focus on some self care.
This list of summer self care ideas has one goal in mind. To help you feel happier during the warmest months of the year! I think it is very important to focus on self care during the summer because it can be a lot easier to incorporate as opposed to other seasons of the year. I am going to be sharing a list of summer self care ideas soon and you’ll see why!
Before we dive into the self care ideas for summer, I wanted to share a bit about the different types of self care first.
Choosing the Right Kind of Self Care For You
Did you know that there are different types of self care and that depending on where you are at, there is a certain type of self care that will benefit you most?
I have found that there are five different types of self care and each of them will serve you in a different way.
First, we have emotional self-care.
In simple terms, emotional self-care is the act of recognizing and acknowledging your emotions and taking care of them. A super common example of not taking care of your emotional needs, that I fall into often, is becoming super aggravated and just burnt-out.
Working towards becoming emotionally aware is a great first step to being able to take care of yourself emotionally.
How to Practice Emotional Self-Care
- Experience your emotions. Don’t push them aside or cover them up. If you need to scream, scream. Cry? Cry.
- Say “no” & stick to your boundaries
- Protect yourself & stop giving your energy to others when it needs to be focused on you
Then we have physical self-care.
Physical self-care is probably exactly what you’re imagining. Taking care of your physical health. This doesn’t mean dieting and excessive exercise, physical self-care is about much more than that. You don’t have to get caught up in a new diet & exercise routine to take care of yourself.
How to Practice Physical Self-Care
- Keeping yourself hydrated
- Eating your favorite fruits & veggies
- Playing in the backyard with your kiddos
Next is mental self-care.
Taking care of your mental health through mental self-care involves decluttering your mind & limiting stressors. In my eyes, all types of self-care are important, but mental self-care is #1. Without taking care of yourself mentally, you can’t take care of yourself physically, emotionally, or socially.
How to Practice Mental Self-Care
- Unplugging from social media
- Reading a new book
- Decluttering parts of your home
Then we have social self-care.
Social self-care takes care of the relationships in your life, from friendships to family to intimate relationships.
How to Practice Social Self-Care
- Facetiming a friend
- Hosting dinner for your family
- Making a brunch date with your best friend
Lastly, we have practical self-care.
The last form of self-care I have to share with you is practical care. These are acts that keep you afloat.
How to Practice Social Self-Care
- Making a budget & paying bills on time
- Meal planning & grocery shopping
- Reading & learning
Now that you have a good understanding of the different types of self care, let’s dive into some summer self care ideas that will make you happy!
I think you’ll love these!
- 108 Quotes About Falling in Love with Your Best Friend
- 127 Inspirational October Quotes and Sayings for Fall
- 28 Best Motivational Podcasts on Spotify to Inspire
- 150+ Positive Affirmations for Depression to Calm You
- 141+ Relatable and Funny Introvert Quotes and Sayings
Summer Self Care Ideas
- Relax outdoors instead of on the couch or in bed
- Head to the farmers market
- Pick an easy hike near your home and get outdoors
- Make a list of local trails near you and try to walk them all
- Start your own backyard / patio garden
- Make a kick ass summer sunny day playlist
- Journal in the early morning sunshine
- Have a picnic (solo or as a date night!)
- Make brunch plans with a friend and sit outdoors
- Give yourself a spa day and show off the fresh pedicure
- Buy some new feel good summer clothes
- Find a drive in movie near you
- Head to my favorite place; the beach!
- Go for ice cream and enjoy it outside
- Make that much needed doctors appointment
- Balance your summer budget (we all know activities can get spendy!)
- Plan a summer camping trip
- Or a vacation!
- Work on your daily affirmations to build up your self esteem
- Figure out a way to drink more water (add flavors or fruits)
- Pick a clear night to go stargazing
- Make a fun bucket list and STICK TO IT!
- Protect your skin with some good skincare and sunscreen
- Head to a local park and read or meditate outside
- Make a summer reading list
- Spend some time at the pool
- Have fun outside trying out photography
- Join an outdoors painting class (or make your own with friends)
- Disconnect for the day and spend time exploring
- Go for a nice drive with the windows down and the music blasting
I hope you loved this list of summer self care ideas and picked a few to add into your summer routine!