This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
This post is sponsored by a favorite, Regalo Baby. As always, we only partner with brands we would reccomend to our best friends!
Let me start this off with a little question.
Does your toddler try to kill themselves on the daily? Or are you looking at your friends kids and thinking “Ummm.. I’m not ready for all that”?
If either of those are remotely true, stick around for a few. I’m going to be sharing my best toddler proofing hacks.
They’re a little different from baby proofing hacks. With baby proofing, you’re trying to eliminate common hazards. Ya know like cords, choking hazards, electrical outlets. Reasonable things.
Toddlers are different. Toddler proofing hacks are different.
Because toddlers are monsters.
They might not know how to ask for a peanut butter sandwich yet,
but they can most certainly create a makeshift ladder to get on top of the counter and pull the pancake mix down for snow angels in the kitchen all while you take an innocent 30 second trip to the bathroom.
Yes. That has happened to me. And in the moment, I was so in shock that it actually happened to me that I sat down next to them and just laughed. Not really being able to process what had just happened.
Toddlers are just wild. They will do the unexpected over and over again and make you realize why your mom shook her head in your direction so much growing up.
There is simply nothing else to do in those moments!
I swear, every time I turn around my twin toddlers are getting into something new and “exciting”.
That right there has made putting this blog post together for you such a fun experience, and why I thought that the baby safety masters behind Regalo Baby would be such a great team to partner up with!
Regalo Baby makes some of the best safety gates around.
You probably have one in your home already, or are at least familar with them. Their standard white Easy Step baby gate is one of the most commonly used gates. It was one of the first purchases I made for my twins!
But since then, we have upgraded to their taller, more attractive (and more toddler proof) Extra Tall Bronze Arched Safety Gate.
And I honestly cannot rave about this gate enough. It stands 30” tall, is easy to latch (but hard for little hands to unlatch) and comes with the hex key to easily put together and begin retaining the wild beast toddlers.
But great quality safety gates aren’t all you need when toddler proofing.
Here are my best toddler proofing hacks that I’ve found so far!
1. Install locks on all cabinets— even the ones above the counter. You might think your medicines and cleaners are safe up there, but think again.
2. Secure all furniture to the wall. Anything that could potentially fall on top of a tiny body, even if you don’t think they can climb it. They will more than likely prove you wrong, so better be safe than sorry! My entire Tv console set up is mounted to the wall. The TV is even mounted to the shelving it is on top of! And my toddlers can absolutely climb a few shelves up even in these shallow book cases!
3. Forget hanging the TP on the roll. Unless, that is, you love re-rolling and using TP that has touched the floor. Which if I am wrong here, go ahead and keep the TP on the roll. But that is always the first thing (aside from the toilet) my twins go for when they are blessed the chance to get into the bathrooms for bath time.
4. Keep all doors shut. Just get in that habit now and buy the door handle covers when they learn how to open the doors. Or mix a closed baby gate and closed door; that has been going well for us!
5. Encourage play yard play. Remember when I shared the many ways to use the Regalo Baby Play Yard? Read here if you missed that one, but the play yard is big enough to hold fun toys, make into a ball pit, and so much more. And my twins have yet to try and make a leap for it to get out of the play yard.
6. Drop the crib all the way down. Like, to the floor if you can. I don’t think anyone is ever ready for the transition from crib to toddler bed, and you can easily prolong the life of your crib from dropping the mattress way down. I have this one and I am able to drop the wire mattress holder onto the floor, stick the mattress on top and still be in the safety zone with regard to crib safety. I would check on this with your crib before deciding to go full on toddler bed. As long as they can’t wedge any limbs through the base of the crib- you’re said to be in the clear!
7. And for the love of all things holy, keep the “climbable” toys away from danger. Little did I know that the cute Paw Patrol themed toy car I brought home would one day be used as a step stool to climb on top of the dresser so that they could play with Alexa.
But for a final tip- just order all of the gates.
Regalo has an awesome selection of walk-thru safety gates from the most basic to home decor matching, to gates linking to a large play yard for that DIY play room.
Click this link to shop their large Amazon selection and read a few reviews for yourself!
But don’t spend too long. Your littles will be getting into absolutely everything before you know it. Take these toddler proofing hacks and be prepared!