This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
There comes a point where you have done everything you can.
Diaper is clean. Tummy is full. Burps have come up. Clothes are warm. You’ve checked for threads wrapped around their toes and scratches on their face.
What else could be wrong? Why are they crying? They can’t tell you. But all you want is for them to stop screaming in your ear.
Something like colic or reflux might be causing the crying, but they also might just be going through their purple period.
Read more about colic and the tips to survive it here!
All in all, you just need some suggestions to help them stop crying. You’ve tried rocking, bouncing, shushing. All the standards. None of it working?
Here are some off the wall ways I have gotten my two and a half month old twins to stop crying-
- Singing. I’m not talking nursery rhymes. I am talking your favorite songs. While they were in the womb they listened to you jam out in the car to Shake It Off every day, so why not try that now? Turn up the stereo and sing!
- Dance (…shake it off). Grab a baby and dance around the living room with them. Singing to them like above while you dance around is a plus!
- Carry baby while you go about your day. Sometimes my baby girl Kendall cries because she just doesn’t want to be alone. But mommas still gotta wash those bottles! I’ll place her in my baby sling and she’ll fall asleep while I am cleaning up the kitchen, folding laundry or doing my makeup. If you don’t have a sling or carrier, go purchase one now.
- Go outside! Whether it’s on an actual walk, or just holding baby while you walk up and down the drive way, the outside air can help calm a baby. And if it is colic or reflux, the cool temperature outside will help calm her too. Read my tips for getting out the door with twins!
- Turn on a disco light bulb. We originally got this bulb for our anxious dog years ago, but our babies love it! It screws into almost any light fixture and starts spinning when you flip the switch! Our babies love watch the colors and patterns dance on the ceiling.
- Go for a drive. You’ve probably heard this one before- but when I say go for a drive, I don’t mean around the block. Go somewhere you’re not going to have to stop and go constantly. What helps soothe the baby is the constant movement. Go get on the highway and just drive. Turn on some music for yourself, maybe jam out a little, and drive.
- Turn on a HOT shower. The noise of the shower, along with the steam, will help soothe a crying baby. Sometimes when I need to shower, I get away with it by bringing the rock and play into the bathroom and rocking baby until they fall asleep and the shower and steam is enough to keep them asleep!
- Try tummy time. Something that we found about our son is that sometimes all he wants is tummy time. Whether its on the couch, floor or our chests- he just wants to be able to lift his head and look around like that. So if he is crying and we’ve tried everything else, I can just put him on his stomach next to me and he’ll either play by himself or soothe himself to sleep like that.
- Just talk. Sometimes all the baby needs is the sound of your voice to calm down. Remember, when they were in your belly they listened to you all day long. I’ve noticed that since I am home with them all day, I don’t really talk as much as I used to. You can only talk to yourself so much.. So I’ll grab a stack of their books, or read something I am interested in out loud for them to hear.
These are great tips to get a baby to stop crying I used most of them myself 😊
My kid hates tummy time haha. We dance or bounce on the birth ball.
Oh thats a good one!
I love to take the baby outside! Sometimes she would stop crying immediately – it was like a whole new baby.
Right! My twins seem to always do best outside, and really anywhere OUT of the house!
Cynthia @ pickbabystroller.com says
Nice and helpful tips. I used this method stop crying my baby – visiting my garden. I was setup a bouncer on my garden, when he crying I just sit down him on it. Most of the time I use rocking chair. Also i used your tips. But i did not use disco bulb light – I will use it soon.