This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Have you found yourself wondering if you should begin listening to podcasts for your mental health? I think a lot of us have been wondering the same. Ever since podcasts have taken off as one of the top forms of entertainment in recent years, people have been taking to listening to them for mood boosts among many other things. But the question remains, what are the benefits of listening to podcasts?
Disclosure: I am not a medical doctor of any sort. I am simply someone who has experienced the mental health benefits of listening to podcasts. Everything in this post is based on personal experience and is not medical advice.
Why Should People Listen to Podcasts?
In the fast-paced digital age we live in, podcasts have emerged as a captivating and convenient medium for people to stay informed, entertained, and connected.
With their ability to cover a wide range of topics, from current events and the latest news to exploring new ideas and personal stories, podcasts have become an integral part of many people’s daily lives.
I used to ask myself all the time why people listened to podcasts. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve tried over the years to get into them until one day, it just clicked!
If you’re someone who wants to learn new things, escape the boring 9-5 life, or hear some real-life stories, podcasts might just be for you.
Are Podcasts Good for Mental Health?
Short answer, yes there are benefits to adding a new podcast to your routine, but there is much more to it. Podcasts can be good for mental health for a variety of reasons.
With stress and anxiety levels on the rise, finding effective ways to prioritize mental health has become a popular topic for many.
Podcasts have emerged as a great way to address this need, with their ability to positively impact mental well-being.
The popularity of podcasts has led to the findings of many great benefits of listening to podcasts.
Listening to podcasts can help individuals escape from daily stressors and find moments of relaxation and enjoyment, thus offering a positive impact on their mental well-being while offering great background noise for life.
Podcasts also have the potential to meet basic psychological needs, such as the need for competence, autonomy, and relatedness.
By offering educational content, inspiring stories, and informative discussions, podcasts empower listeners to expand their knowledge, develop new skills, and enhance their sense of competence.
Benefits of Listening to Podcasts
We’ve covered a few benefits of listening to podcasts so far in relation to mental health and well-being, but I wanted to take a deeper dive into ten of the greatest benefits of listening to podcasts.
Here are 10 Benefits of Listening to Podcasts:
- they can make you feel less alone
- they can offer you an easy way to relax
- they can offer an accessible way to learn new things
- they can help reduce screen time
- they can make you feel happier
- they can help you become a better listener
- they can be an easy source of entertainment
- they can keep your mind entertained during mindless tasks
- they can help you grow your social circle
- they can help open your mind to new things
Here is a bit more on these many benefits of listening to podcasts.
Podcasts Can Help You Feel Less Alone
Podcasts have a wonderful ability to help people feel less alone by providing a sense of connection and understanding.
Through storytelling, narrative stories, and discussions on various topics, podcasts create a virtual community where people can relate to shared experiences and emotions.
By hearing others’ stories and perspectives, people realize that they are not alone in their struggles, challenges, or unique circumstances, all while going through their normal daily activities, and for me, that is the best medicine.
This realization of shared humanity creates a sense of belonging, empathy, and validation, which can alleviate feelings of isolation and provide peace to one’s social needs.
Whether it’s through podcasts that explore mental health, personal journeys, or societal issues, the power of shared stories, and the comforting presence of a podcast host and their guests, create a space where listeners can find companionship, support, and a reminder that they are part of a larger community.
I have found great peace in many podcasts as they have helped me feel less alone in my daily struggles as someone with bipolar disorder about to enter their 30s. You can find some of my favorite mental health podcasts in this post.
Podcasts Can Offer You an Easy Way to Relax Your Brain
In a world filled with constant stimulation and information overload, podcasts can provide a relaxation space for the brain.
By listening to podcasts, people can redirect their attention from screens (more on that in a bit) and immerse themselves in audio content that is engaging, entertaining, and soothing.
The auditory nature of podcasts allows the brain to focus solely on the voices and stories, creating a calming and immersive experience.
Whether it’s through captivating storytelling, calming voices, or guided meditations (there are some great meditation podcasts), the best podcasts provide a gentle escape from daily stressors and a chance to relax the mind by releasing a feel-good chemical in your brain.
With the flexibility to listen during various activities in your daily routine like your long commute, while exercising, or before bed, podcasts become a readily available tool for relaxation, promoting mental well-being, and relaxation.
Podcasts Can Offer an Accessible Way to Learn New Things
Podcasts can offer a highly accessible and engaging way to learn new things. In fact, they are considered one of the best ways to acquire knowledge and develop new skills thanks to a recent study.
By tuning into podcasts, podcast listeners can access a wide variety of educational content from experts and enthusiasts in various fields.
Whether it’s learning about history, science, personal development, or business strategies, podcasts provide a convenient place for acquiring valuable insights and expanding your knowledge base.
Podcasts can also offer the unique advantage of presenting information in an engaging and conversational way which often includes interviews and discussions that provide peer perspectives and real-world experiences.
This immersive approach to learning allows listeners to absorb information more effectively and apply it to their own lives.
Additionally, podcasts can serve as an educational tool for aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners, who can gain valuable insights from successful professionals in their respective industries.
Podcasts can also help people develop new vocabulary and enhance their language skills. Whether it’s listening to experts discussing niche topics or immersing oneself in podcasts related to foreign languages, this audio medium offers a practical and enjoyable way to expand one’s linguistic repertoire.
With their accessibility and diverse range of topics, podcasts empower individuals to embark on a continuous journey of learning and self-improvement.
Podcasts Can Help Reduce Screen Time
Podcasts can offer a valuable opportunity and in my opinion, the best way, to limit screen time in a world dominated by visual media.
By engaging with audio podcasts, people can reduce their screen addiction and enjoy a screen-free form of entertainment and information consumption all from their mobile device.
This shift away from visual media allows people to break free from the constant distractions and potential negative effects associated with excessive screen time, such as eye strain and visual overload.
Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media or falling into the trap of social media addiction, podcasts provide a healthy alternative that encourages active listening and mental engagement.
With the freedom to listen to podcasts during various activities like commuting, exercising, or relaxing, people can reclaim their time and attention, focusing on audio content that benefits their lives.
By incorporating podcasts into their daily routine, people can strike a balance between digital consumption and screen-free time, leading to reduced social media use and a healthier relationship with their smartphones.
Podcasts Can Make You Feel Happier
Podcasts can offer an easy way to enhance happiness and well-being.
By tuning in to podcasts that align with their interests and preferences, individuals can easily access content that brings joy, inspiration, and positive vibes into their lives. Some podcasts can even bring a new perspective into your life that can in turn help you become a happier individual.
Whether it’s through uplifting stories, motivational talks, or discussions on happiness and personal growth, podcasts provide a convenient way for individuals to cultivate a positive mindset and improve their overall happiness.
Moreover, the flexibility and accessibility of podcasts enable listeners to incorporate them into their daily routines, making it easy to find moments of happiness and relaxation.
Whether it’s during a commute, a workout, or while doing household chores, podcasts offer a convenient way to infuse happiness and fulfillment into everyday life.
The ability to choose from a vast array of genres and topics also ensures that people can find content that resonates with their unique interests, further enhancing their happiness and well-being.
Podcasts Can Help You Become a Better Listener
Podcasts can provide an excellent platform for honing and improving listening skills, ultimately helping individuals become better listeners throughout their daily life.
Through the audio format, podcasts require active engagement and attentive listening, fostering the development of important listening skills.
By tuning in to podcasts, individuals can practice focused listening, as they immerse themselves in the narratives, discussions, and interviews presented in the episodes.
This focused listening helps individuals train their ability to concentrate, comprehend, and extract meaning from spoken words.
Additionally, podcasts often feature diverse voices and perspectives, exposing listeners to different communication styles and enhancing their ability to understand and appreciate various viewpoints.
Moreover, podcasts encourage empathetic listening, as individuals connect with the stories and experiences shared by podcast hosts and guests. This empathy-driven listening helps develop a deeper understanding of others and cultivates a sense of connection and shared humanity.
As individuals continue to engage with podcasts, they refine their listening skills, becoming more attentive, empathetic, and receptive to the ideas and emotions conveyed through audio content.
Podcasts Can Be an Easy Form of Entertainment That is Easy on the Brain
Podcasts offer a delightful and effortless form of entertainment for the brain. With their audio format, podcasts provide a refreshing alternative to visual stimulation and screen-based entertainment.
By immersing themselves in podcasts, people can engage their imagination and let the storytelling, discussions, or interviews unfold in their minds. This audio-driven entertainment allows the brain to relax and focus solely on the audio content, providing a break from the constant visual stimulation of screens.
Moreover, podcasts offer a wide range of genres and topics, catering to diverse interests and preferences. Whether it’s comedy, true crime, history, or fiction, there’s a podcast for every taste, making it easy to find enjoyable content that suits one’s mood and interests.
Furthermore, podcasts offer convenience and accessibility, allowing individuals to enjoy entertainment for the brain during activities like commuting, exercising, or relaxing.
This flexibility ensures that people can easily incorporate podcasts into their daily routines, providing an effortless and fulfilling form of entertainment that stimulates the mind without overwhelming it.
Podcasts Can Keep Your Mind Entertained During Mindless Tasks
Podcasts can offer a fantastic solution for staying entertained during mindless tasks. Whether it’s folding laundry, cleaning the house, or running errands, these mundane activities can become much more enjoyable and engaging with the addition of podcasts.
By tuning in to podcasts, individuals can transform otherwise boring tasks into opportunities for entertainment, learning, and personal growth.
The audio format of podcasts allows individuals to listen while keeping their hands and eyes free, enabling them to fully focus on the task at hand.
With an abundance of podcast genres available, ranging from storytelling and comedy to educational and informative content, there is something for everyone’s interests and preferences.
Engaging with podcasts during mindless tasks provides entertainment and an opportunity to learn something new, explore different perspectives, or enjoy a captivating narrative.
The ability to seamlessly integrate podcasts into daily routines ensures that individuals can maximize their productivity while keeping boredom at bay.
So, the next time you find yourself facing a mindless task, let podcasts be your entertaining companion, turning otherwise mundane moments into enjoyable and enriching experiences.
Podcasts Can Help You Grow Your Social Circle
While the medium is often associated with passive consumption, it also fosters a sense of community and connection, offering an opportunity to expand and enrich your social circle.
By engaging with podcasts, individuals can discover hosts and guests who share similar interests, perspectives, or experiences. This shared like-mindedness can create a strong foundation for building connections and expanding one’s social circle.
Podcasts often have dedicated online communities, forums, or social media groups where listeners can engage in discussions, share thoughts, and connect with like-minded individuals. These platforms provide a space for listeners to interact, exchange ideas, and form new friendships.
Moreover, podcasts can serve as a conversation starter or common ground when meeting new people. Sharing favorite podcasts, discussing episodes, or recommending shows can spark meaningful conversations and deepen connections.
Additionally, attending live podcast recordings, meetups, or events allows individuals to connect with fellow listeners and engage in face-to-face interactions.
Podcasts bridge gaps and bring people together, creating a sense of belonging and camaraderie among listeners who may have never crossed paths otherwise.
By embracing the social aspect of podcasts, individuals have the opportunity to expand their social circle, forge new relationships, and foster a sense of community with like-minded individuals who share their passion for the podcast medium.
Podcasts Can Open Your Mind to New Things
Podcasts can offer an excellent way to open your mind to new ideas, perspectives, and experiences.
By tuning in to podcasts, you expose yourself to fresh viewpoints, engaging discussions, and expert insights on various subjects. This exposure to new ideas expands your intellectual horizons and encourages you to think critically, question assumptions, and broaden your understanding of the world.
Additionally, podcasts often feature guests from different backgrounds, cultures, and professions, offering a rich tapestry of perspectives and experiences.
By listening to these diverse voices, you gain a deeper appreciation for the complexity and diversity of human experiences.
Podcasts can also introduce you to topics or disciplines that you may have never considered before, sparking curiosity and fueling a desire for lifelong learning.
Whether it’s delving into niche hobbies, exploring scientific advancements, or understanding different cultural practices, podcasts provide an accessible and engaging medium for discovery.
By embracing podcasts as a source of knowledge and inspiration, you open your mind to new ideas, challenge your existing beliefs, and embark on a continuous journey of intellectual growth and exploration.
As you can see, there are some amazing benefits of listening to podcasts. How are you going to add podcasts into your daily life?
Where to Listen to Podcasts
There are numerous online platforms where people can listen to podcasts, all of which can be done via your car, headphones during a trip to the grocery store, or from your phone’s speaker while hanging out at home. The luxury of podcasts is that you can listen to them anywhere! Some popular options include:
- Spotify: Spotify offers a vast library of podcasts, ranging from popular shows to niche topics. Users can access podcasts for free with ads or opt for a premium subscription to enjoy an ad-free listening experience.
- Apple Podcasts: Apple Podcasts is the default podcast app on Apple devices, making it easily accessible for iPhone, iPad, and Mac users. It provides a comprehensive collection of podcasts across various genres and allows users to subscribe, download, and stream episodes.
- Google Podcasts: Google Podcasts is a platform available for both Android and iOS users. It integrates with Google Assistant, making it convenient to discover and listen to podcasts using voice commands. It also offers personalized recommendations based on listening habits.
- Stitcher: Stitcher is a popular podcast platform known for its user-friendly interface and curated content. It features a diverse range of shows and provides a seamless listening experience across devices.
- Overcast: Overcast is a podcast app for iOS users that offers a clean and intuitive interface. It provides features like Smart Speed, which shortens silences in episodes, and Voice Boost, which enhances audio quality for a better listening experience.
- SoundCloud: While primarily known for music, SoundCloud also hosts a wide variety of podcasts. It allows creators to upload and share their podcast episodes, making it a platform for independent and emerging podcasters.
- Podbean: Podbean is a podcast hosting platform that also offers a dedicated app for podcast listening. It allows users to explore a vast catalog of podcasts, follow their favorite shows, and download episodes for offline listening.
Free places to listen to podcasts:
- amazon music
- google podcasts
What are the Different Types of Podcasts?
Podcasts come in a variety of formats and genres, with offerings of diverse interests and preferences. Here are some common types of podcasts:
- Interview-based podcasts: These podcasts feature interviews with guests, including experts, celebrities, or individuals with unique experiences. The host engages in conversations with the guests, exploring their backgrounds, insights, and perspectives on specific topics.
- Storytelling podcasts: Storytelling podcasts captivate listeners through narrative-driven episodes. They often feature compelling storytelling techniques, immersive sound design, and serialized storytelling. These podcasts can cover a wide range of genres, from true crime and mystery to personal narratives and fictional storytelling.
- Educational podcasts: Educational podcasts focus on providing knowledge and insights on specific subjects. They can cover various topics, including science, history, psychology, language learning, or self-improvement. Educational podcasts aim to inform and teach listeners in an engaging and accessible manner.
- News and current affairs podcasts: News podcasts deliver the latest news, current events, and analysis. They cover a wide range of topics, from politics and economics to sports and entertainment. News podcasts keep listeners informed and provide in-depth discussions on important issues.
- Comedy podcasts: Comedy podcasts entertain listeners through humor, comedic discussions, and storytelling. They often feature comedians engaging in witty banter, sharing funny anecdotes, or discussing lighthearted topics. Comedy podcasts offer a dose of laughter and entertainment.
- True crime podcasts: True crime podcasts explore real-life criminal cases, investigations, and mysteries. They delve into intriguing stories, analyze evidence, and examine the psychology behind criminal behavior. True crime podcasts attract a dedicated fanbase fascinated by suspenseful and captivating narratives.
- Personal development podcasts: Personal development podcasts focus on self-improvement, motivation, and personal growth. They provide insights, advice, and inspiration to help individuals enhance various aspects of their lives, including relationships, careers, health, and mindset.
- Fictional podcasts: Fictional podcasts present scripted audio dramas, bringing storytelling to life through sound effects, voice acting, and immersive narratives. They span various genres, including sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, and drama, allowing listeners to enjoy engaging fictional stories.
I hope this post about the mental health benefits of listening to podcasts has given you some ideas on how podcasts might be beneficial for you. I find the many benefits of podcasts to provide great value to my own life!
Click here for some best podcast recommendations! It includes some of my favorite and popular podcasts about mental health.