This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
Summer activities for babies are so much easier to come by than you might think.
I know that during my first summer with my twin babies before they turned one, I didn’t really know what to do with them. Especially with worrying about keeping them cool while also safely handling two babies at the same time.
Summer Baby Safety Tips
With summer activities for babies comes keeping those little babes safe!
It can be tempting to just dive right in, but did you know babies under six months old shouldn’t use sunscreen? I had no idea until someone else mentioned it.
See. Baby safety tips.
I am not a professional nor doctor, these are just the tips I have found most common on the web when talking about baby safety this summer.
Check out this article from the FDA talking about baby sun safety. They have some great tips revolving around keeping your little out of the sun as the best way to keep their fresh skin safe!
A few good products to use to limit sun exposure are:
After that six month mark- feel free to use some “baby friendly” sunscreen. My understanding of best practice is applying sunscreen to all uncovered body parts (remember the ears, neck, etc) 15 minutes or so before going outside to allow it to soak in, and then every 2 or so hours while outside.
Read more about sunscreen application here.
Aside from sun safety, also remember to keep an eye on them if using car seats for long periods of time- especially if you are still using the infant car seats. The sunshade on them can actually hold heat around the baby making them even warmer.
Then beyond that, please do a bit of research with regard to water safety & infants. I have a friend who lost her son in a matter of seconds and urge you to read what you can to keep baby safe.
Fun summer activities for babies
NOTE: Always ALWAYS keep your eyes on the baby around any water. Do not walk away. Play with them & stay close.
Indoor summer activities at home:
- Bring the kiddie pool inside and add some balls for a DIY ball pit!
- Make up this DIY water blob
- Make up some edible finger paints and let them play in the cool bathtub
- Bring any toys to the tub and have some water fun in the AC
- Hang out in the AC and watch my twins favorite- Moana!
- Enjoy some nakey time!
Backyard Activities for Babies at home:
- Bring out the kiddie pool
- Add balls or bath toys to the kiddie pool for some sensory fun
- Snag this awesome bubble blower and blow their minds
- Read books outback
- Make up some edible finger paints and let them play
- Set up a quick DIY baby-friendly water table experience with cups & such in the kiddie pool
Summer fun on the go:
- Take a nice walk with the sunshade on the stroller open & even a portable fan to keep their little bodies cool
- Check out this cool pop up tent for sunny days hanging out outside
- Head to the park for baby swings and grass play!
- Local library for storytime
- Trip to the zoo
- Spend the day at the coast
- Grab the carriers and go for a hike!
- Check out the local children’s museum
- Sign up for baby and me swim class
- Local aquarium? Check it out!
- Join local mom groups for play dates
- Find a nearby splash pad (a lot of library’s around me have them!)
What are some things you’re excited to do with your babies this summer? Let me know down below!
And if you need tips on keeping baby cool this summer, check out this post for ways you don’t want to miss!
Best of luck mommas!