This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission through. Thank you for supporting Twins and Coffee!
If you’re a mom struggling with mental illness, these stress reducing tips for moms should help you learn how to lower your stress levels!
Parenting with Mental Illness
Parenting with a mental illness is not a good time by any means but it can be made a bit easier with some adjustments. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when my twins were 1.5 and the journey both before and after that as a mom was/has been quite the challenge. Over the three years since being diagnosed, I have learned many tips that have helped me manage to be a parent with a mental illness, and with that wanted to share my many stress reducing tips for moms.
Mental Illness and Stress for Moms
It’s no surprise that mental illness contributes to high stress levels for parents.
I don’t know about you, but parenting with a mental illness makes life so much more stressful than it should be. My anxiety is always at max capacity which doesn’t help the stress levels. I am always worrying about something and that makes parenting really difficult some days.
Thankfully, I have learned many stress reducing tips through therapy that have helped me parent better and I wanted to share them with you today!
Let’s dive into my best stress reducing tips for moms.
I think you’ll love these!
- Top Rated Pinterest Simple Banana Bread Muffins
- 30+ of the Best DIY Gifts for Mom and Grandma
- Self Care Worksheets for Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- Why is it So Hard to Take Care of Yourself?
- How to Take a Self Care Day (Mental Health Day)
Stress Reducing Tips for Moms
Before we dive into the stress reducing tips for moms, we need to figure out why you are stressed in the first place.
Step One: Why Are You Stressed?
Take a step back from your situation and ask yourself why this is bothering you. Why is THIS your limit? Have you not been taking care of yourself? Taking on too much? Let’s chat.
Tips to Reduce Stress for Moms
There are so many ways to tackle the core of what is driving you nuts, but my best stress reducing tips for moms start with:
- Understanding your “stressed” signs.
- & Creating solutions for those signs.
Understanding your stress, like mentioned above, is key to being able to move forward and NOT cause yourself that kind of stress again. Some of the signs of stress overload include:
- upset stomach
- aches/muscle pains
- & low energy
After evaluating where you’re at, which is clearly STRESSED TF OUT, some solutions for dealing with where you’re at include:
- getting proper rest
- taking a break (aka, time for YOU)
- write it out
- get outside
- & do something just for you
Those are just some simple stress reducing tips for moms. Here is a big list of some awesome self care ideas that should definitely help you when you are feeling stressed to the MAX!
- Clean-up one room in your house while blasting your favorite music
- Try to do your hair and makeup. I know it is so hard, but try this one thing
- Give yourself a mental health day and head to the beach (or another fave spot out of your city)
- Change up your routine! I usually take myself to my fave coffee shop to work on bad mental health days
- Click here for a hug of a reminder
- Create or add to your happy wall! (click here to learn more)
- Practice GRACE and give yourself a damn break. You deserve to slow down. Slow down with a book or your fave show under your fave cozy blanket
- Do your usual morning routine no matter how long it takes
- Practice positive self-talk. Look yourself in the mirror and say out loud a handful of positive affirmations and good things about yourself. If you need help with what to say, click here or ask a friend for your best qualities to repeat back to yourself
- Make a watch-list on your streaming platform of choice & start a NEW show/movie that will get you out of your head
- Sit on your patio and breathe
- Meditate. I love the insight timer
- Scroll through Pinterest quotes and save them to a special board. Scroll long enough until you find one that you want to take with you for the day
- Drink a LARGE glass of water before anything else
- Tuck your phone away
- Indulge in the sad, but set a timer. Once time is up turn on your fave upbeat music and start with the smallest/quickest thing on your todo list
- Order your fave take-out as many times as you need. We’re going off track today and that is okay. Mozzarella sticks for lunch? Sounds good to me
- Go for a walk. Even if it’s to the end of your street and back. You DID it!
- Turn on your fave kid’s movie. Mine go to’s are Up and Inside Out
- Take out your fave guided journal and run through a few pages. Check out my favorite one from No Filter Co. here!
- Give yourself a FULL self-care shower during your next bad mental health day. I’m talking body scrub, hair mask, body soak, everything
- Make yourself a priorities list (three MUST do’s and three WANT to do’s) and alternate between the must’s and want’s
- Reach out to a few friends and see who can meet up for lunch/dinner/coffee/drinks
- Cook your GO TO favorite meal. Instacart what you need
- Color a page or two in an adult (or kids) coloring book
- DRIVE! Drive drive drive. You don’t need a set destination, just a kickass playlist and maybe your go-to drink
- Buy yourself some flowers (or plants)
- Snag a cute art kit from your local craft store and try it out
- Facetime a friend and vent on the bathroom floor until you feel like you can stand up and keep the convo going in another direction
- BRAIN DUMP! This is my go-to for when my mind is spinning or blank
For more on how to REDUCE motherhood stress, check out this post.
I hope this list of stress reducing tips for moms has given you a handful of ideas for managing your own motherhood stress! For more like this post, check these ones out: